3.2 Installation of a reactor
When the inverter is connected near a large-capacity power transformer (1000kVA or more) or when a power capacitor is to
be switched over, an excessive peak current may flow in the power input circuit, damaging the converter circuit. To prevent
this, always install the AC reactor (FR-HAL)
* When connecting the FR-HEL to the 01160 or less, remove the jumper across terminals P/+ - P1. For the 01800 or more, a DC
reactor is supplied. Always install the reactor.
The wiring length between the FR-HEL and inverter should be 5m maximum and minimized. Use the same wire size as that of the
power supply wire (R/L1, S/L2, T/L3). (Refer to page 17)
3.3 Power-off and magnetic contactor (MC)
(1) Inverter input side magnetic contactor (MC)
On the inverter input side, it is recommended to provide an MC for the following purposes.
1) To release the inverter from the power supply when the fault occurs or when the drive is not functioning (e.g.
emergency stop operation).
2) To prevent any accident due to an automatic restart at restoration of power after an inverter stop made by a power failure
3) While the power is ON, inverter is consuming a little power even during inverter stop. When stopping the inverter for
an extended period of time, powering OFF the inverter will save power slightly.
4) To separate the inverter from the power supply to ensure safe maintenance and inspection work
The inverter's input side MC is used for the above purpose, select class JEM1038-AC3MC for the inverter input side
current when making an emergency stop during normal operation.
Since repeated inrush current at power on will shorten the life of the converter circuit (switching life is 100 million times), frequent
starts/stops must be avoided. Turn on/off the inverter start controlling terminals (STF, STR) to run/stop the inverter.
(2) Handling of the inverter output side magnetic contactor
Switch the magnetic contactor between the inverter and motor only when both the inverter and motor are at a stop.
When the magnetic contactor is turned on while the inverter is operating, overcurrent protection of the inverter and
such will activate. When an MC is provided to switch to a commercial power supply, for example, it is recommended to
use bypass operation Pr. 135 to Pr. 139 (Refer to page 231).
DC reactor (FR-HEL) *
• Inverter start/stop circuit example
As shown on the left, always use the start signal
(ON or OFF of STF (STR) signal) to make a start
or stop. (Refer to page 114)
*1 When the power supply is 400V class, install a step-
*2 Connect the power supply terminals R1/L11, S1/L21
of the control circuit to the primary side of the MC to
hold an alarm signal when the inverter's protective
circuit is activated. At this time, remove jumpers
across terminals R/L1-R1/L11 and S/L2-S1/L21.
(Refer to page 20 for removal of the jumper.)
Installation of a reactor
110165 247 330 420